It seems like the winter break would never come! It doesn’t really matter where you’re headed to; the time away is going to be amazing. Before you even start packing, there are some things you should take care of in your apartment first. You don’t want to spend your whole time worrying about stuff that could be happening at home.
- First off, we know most of you will be leaving. But, it’s good practice for the future to tell your landlord/ management that you’re taking off for awhile. Let them know when you’ll be back and affirm all your contact information. If you’re leaving your car here make sure parking is all set, you remove any valuables, roll up the windows and lock the doors.
- Make sure to put your mail on hold so it doesn’t start to pile up. It’s super easy and can be done online. If you happen to have any bills that require payment during the period you’re gone take care of them as well.
- Adjust the thermostat. You’re not going to be there and this is a prime opportunity to save on your utility bill.
- If you have any houseplants you may want to ask a friend or neighbor to keep them watered.
- Unplug your electronics. Even if they’re turned off, appliances still use energy. Common culprits are your TV, computer, toaster, and coffeemaker.
- Probably one of the most overlooked things to do before you leave for break is to clean; organize, put away dishes, catch up on laundry, and vacuum. There is nothing better than coming home to a sparkling apartment.
Get a hold of us if you have any questions on how to prepare your apartment for your absence.