There are many factors to consider when thinking about your next apartment or rental home. Some of you may be gaining or losing a roommate with your next lease, or maybe your roommates are perfect, but you all just want a change of scenery. Either way, you want to be prepared. Here are some efficient tips to help you as you search for your next apartment to call home.
The Apartment Budget
We talked recently about creating your apartment budget and sticking to it. Your rent should account for no more than 30% of your income. If you are going to have roommates, make sure you are looking for a place within everyone’s budget. If you are looking for a place that is out of your price range, consider sharing a room with someone to cut your rent cost if the building allows it. Of course, be sure you know who you are living with!
Ask the Right Questions
With the excitement of looking for a new apartment, there are certain questions you may forget to ask that are important to know prior to renting your unit.
- What utilities are included?
- If you would like AC, does the unit have it? If not, can you provide your own window unit?
- Is the unit cable and internet ready?
- How old is the property and have there been any renovations?
- If you are renting a house, who is responsible for lawn care and snow removal?
- Is parking available? If not, where is the nearest parking that is available?
- What’s public transportation like; how far is the bus stop?
We offer plenty of information regarding our properties on our website. You can always call or email with any questions and one of our rental agents will be happy to assist!
Property management companies and landlords often offer specials, discounts, or promotions for those who sign a lease, so it never hurts to ask.
Our Campus Open Houses are underway so it’s perfect to start there! Current Special: Any individual who signs a new 2017-2018 Campus lease gets to play Plinko for up to $500 in prizes. Everyone who plays wins a gift card and gift cards are to locations such as Amazon, Lululemon, North Face, The Great Dane, Ian’s Pizza and more!**
Some of our non-campus rentals are also offering incentives!
- If you are looking for a campus unit or want to rent an apartment in one of our campus high rises, then in most cases you can sign a lease right away if you plan to use a cosigner. Campus units go fast, and they are first come, first served.
- If you are looking at renting an apartment in a non-campus complex or rental home, then your application will need to be processed when applying for a unit. The best way to get a jump start on your application process is to be prepared with your employment and housing references. Use our online rental application to expedite the process.
Signing a new lease is a big step, and can appear to be stressful at times. Have your budget ready, questions prepared, and references in hand and it should go smooth as can be. Be prepared, and happy hunting!
Call 608-251-8777 for more details or to schedule your private showing today.
**(While supplies last, contact MPM for eligibility details)